For the Welcome Center:
- Backpacks to provide human dignity to the 30-40 detainees who are released each week with their belongings in clear plastic bags. Size ~17 “, and please leave them empty
- Individually wrapped chips, snack bars, nuts
- Bottled water (individual size)
- Canned soda
- Fresh fruit such as apples, oranges (no more than one bag as they don’t keep well)
- Travel size toothpaste and deodorant for travel packs, and toothbrushes (full size OK)
We are well stocked on all other toiletries at this time.
For the Hospitality House:
- Pay as you go phone cards for T-Mobile or Nokia phone
- Prepaid international phone cards
- Men’s T-shirts socks and underwear, medium and large size
- Walmart or Target gift cards to buy shoes or other necessities
- Safeway grocery cards
- Paper towels and toilet paper
- Dish soap and laundry soap
With prior arrangement, non-cash donations for all programs, including the Welcome Center, can be brought to the AID NW office located at 616 1/2 N. I Street in Tacoma between 11:00 am – 3:00 pm, Tuesday – Thursday. Please email the volunteer coordinator at email@example.com 24 hours in advance. Food or drink donations for the Welcome Center can be dropped off there: 1623 East J Street outside the Detention Center on the Tacoma Tide Flats, Monday thru Friday from 3:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Donation, or contributions toward the purchase of:
- New or slightly used (under 10 years) 32 – 36 foot “Class A” RV, to replace the current Welcome Center RV, which is 20 years old and on it’s last legs/axles
- New or recent desktop computer, to replace our 6 – 8 year old model
Cash donations for all our work are greatly appreciated. Please mail checks to: 616 1/2 North I Street, Tacoma, 98403 or click on the “Donate” button on the right.
- Offer hospitality services to released immigrants, provide transportation to various locations as well as other services to enrich their daily lives (see Post-Detention Accompaniment Network–PDAN page for further detail)
- Visit immigrants in the Detention Center during public visitation hours