Advocates for Immigrants in Detention Northwest
We welcome and support people affected by immigration detention by connecting them to resources and the community
many ways to support
how you can help
learn even more
How You Can Donate
Both one time and monthly donations are gratefully accepted
Become a Sustaining Donor
Recurring monthly donations help us enormously with operational costs
One Time Donation
for showing that you care!
We are pleased to offer a new service for online donations. Through Karma Payments we can accept both one-time and recurring donations, which can be set up at any frequency you choose, using Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or your bank account. Donations may still be made through PayPal if you prefer. Through Karma, AIDNW does receive a greater portion of your donation than those made through PayPal, by asking you to pay a processing fee when you donate.
Mail in Donations
Checks may be sent to the office address: 1915 S. Sheridan Ave, Tacoma, WA 98405, and recurring donations can also be arranged through Bill Pay at your bank.
HELP US HELP IMMIGRANTS DURING COVID-19
Please consider making a donation to AIDNW. Here are examples of what your donation could do:
- $25.00 pays for 2 meals
- $60.00 pays for a hotel room for 1 night
- $75.00 pays for a bus ticket and 2 meals
- $100.00 pays for 1 night in a hotel, with dinner and breakfast
- $250.00 pays for an airline ticket
- $350.00 pays for an airline ticket, hotel and food for one night
- $500.00 pays for 2 airline tickets
Thank you for your support!
Due to COVID, we are currently unable to accept donations dropped off at the office/Hospitality House. We ask that you order needed supplies from Amazon, for delivery to the House. The list can be found through the following link: Amazon Wish List.
Community Rewards Partners with AIDNW
You can now link your Fred Meyer rewards card to support AIDNW.
Link your card by logging into your Fred Meyer account (or creating an account), then enter “community rewards” in the search box. Or you may click on button below . Under “find (or change) an organization”, type in our full name: “Advocates for Immigrants in Detention NW” to link your card.
Many of these items–and more–can be found on our Amazon Wish List. We will receive extra benefit if you start your purchases at Amazon Smile.
Under the Amazon Smile program you can set your account to donate to AIDNW (using our full name: Advocates for Immigrants in Detention Northwest), at no extra cost to you.
You can do this by going to smile.amazon.com
If you sell items on eBay, you can donate 10% or more of the sale to AIDNW. See https://charity.ebay.com/charity/Advocates-for-Immigrants-in-Detention-Northwest/1536655
News and Events
Chair's Fall report
Hello AIDNW Community,
The AIDNW Board of Directors has begun the process of discerning goals for AIDNW in 2021. The combination of the Covid-19 pandemic and current Federal immigration policies has significantly impacted our ability to offer assistance to immigrant detainees in 2020. The largest impact has been on our Welcome Center and Hospitality House Programs.
Welcome Center Program: In September 2020 only 7 immigrants released from detention were served by AIDNW. In September 2019 that figure was 99 immigrants who came from 21 different countries. …. (read more)
Changes to our programs under COVID 19
- The AIDNW Welcome Center is working outdoors and we are taking all necessary precautions to protect both our volunteers and our guests.
- Hospitality House is still able to accept guests who need to wait a few hours for transportation. While overnight stays to traveling immigrants are no longer possible, we have started to offer extended stays of 3 – 6 months to immigrants to who plan to make their home in the area (COVID test required) .
- PDAN volunteer drivers are busy taking released immigrants to the airport or to hotels for overnight stays before airport travel.
- Visits are not allowed inside the Detention Center, but our volunteer visitors continue to connect with detainees by writing letters.
- Clothing and other in-kind donations are being accepted only through our Amazon Wish list and can no longer be dropped at the house.
- Monetary donations continue to be accepted through the mail and the website https://aidnw.org/how-to-donate/
PowerPoint Presentation on AIDNW Services
Community Meetings are held every two months and feature a short presentation on topics relating to the detention center as well as updates from AIDNW. Community Meetings are currently held via Zoom. Here are recordings from recent meetings.
Join our Google Group
Join our email Google Group to receive notification of news and events, current volunteer opportunities and donation needs.
9:30 – 11:00 a.m
Everything you always wanted to know about the AIDNW Board but were afraid to ask
You are welcome to attend the AIDNW Annual Meeting, January 12, 2021 at 5:00pm
If you would like to attend, please email email@example.com. A link will be sent out a few days before the meeting.
Welcome Center RV Campaign — We did it!
Thanks to generous supporters, we now have a clean and comfortable new place to greet released detainees!
We are grateful for major gifts from
The Ben B. Cheney Foundation
Gary E. Milgard Family Foundation
Norcliffe Family Foundation
Bamford Family Foundation
Two anonymous donors
Catholic Relief Services Rice Bowl
many individuals like you